Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Savannah scapes


Welcome to beautiful Savannah, Georgia!
For the second time this year, we have been here for a conference for work. While Jon slaves away in a fancy hotel, I wander. Here are some of mine and our adventures...
After doing just a little bit of shopping, I parked the car and set out on foot for the perfect thing to paint. I'd never tried water - and with water color and ink - impossible!!!! But I just felt like painting it. Since it was so impossible, I started in the corner of the paper so I wouldn't waste a whole sheet - and wouldn't you know it - I actually like the painting!
Love this frolicking detail...on a hot day.

Another tourist took my picture - for the blog.


While I was painting, I heard a lovely voice from afar, which grew as it came closer and then filled the canopy of the park. It was the most joyful sound I ever heard, and it was singing about Jesus. I watched as the singer passed me and sat down beside this artist. When I was done, I went to see his craft and met them. They were the sweetest married couple, that lived off what they made on the street. They were happy, and she glowed with the Lord's spirit. They were Gulla people from the islands. She quoted me a poem in Gulla, and it sounded exactly like an African accent.
We talked long enough to become friends. I'll never forget her joy. When I asked her about her singing, she said she just burst out with her song - the beautiful day and her happiness. It did itself. Maybe we all need a little of that joy in our lives.
One of the things I like to do in Savannah is to peer into the secret gardens. Here are a few of the fences that guard them.
I heard that the reason Savannah, New Orleans and Charleston have so much iron, is that they used it to weight down the ships coming from Europe. All 3 are major port cities.

This gate has a real flame inside the lamp.

We ate great food, and Monday night we got to go for a riverboat dinner cruise down the Savannah river. But Jon's only real break was Tybee Island after his sessions. This time we went to the more rugged North end of the island. Here we are:

Behind me is Hilton Head Island, SC.

Then we headed home.

1 Comments:

Blogger Anna said...

Looks like it was fun. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home