Saturday, October 11, 2008

Great Run

As some of you know I have been planning to do a 5K run. I have never run in an organized run before. Since the Doctor said I needed more exercise to lower my cholesterol, I have started running. So I saw that Cobb County and Make-A-Wish Foundation were putting on a 5K on October 11.

I started training by lengthening my runs a bit at a time. When I was in Princeton running on the flat I got up to 1.5 miles. That is good for me, but the 5K would be over 3 miles. I stretched to about 2 miles on a few runs since I have been home and believed I could run further because I did not have sore muscles and did not feel totally spent of energy.

This morning Becky went with me to Marietta Square and there were over 2000 runners (including walkers). I got my number and was ready to go. It was quite an event with such a crowd. It was early and just getting light. We bunched up and the gun shot.
I did not come in first place, but I think I really did well. I ran about 90% of the course, (all except for some steep hills and a few sections of long inclines). I finished in about 32 minutes. I was expecting about 45 minutes. Wow, this is big for me! Thanks for everyone's encouragement.


7 Comments:

Blogger Anna said...

WOW! That is really good time. Way to go!

4:03 PM  
Blogger Birding in Iowa said...

Yeah, Dad! Woo-hoo! Good work. I am impressed. Maybe someday I'll try to follow in your footsteps. (hehe... that was an accidental pun!)

4:11 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

um, woops, that last comment was from me, Sarah.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Mom and Dad said...

This was my first time attending a race and I found it quite fun to watch the people. Since I am trying to ramp up my own exercise regime, I was interested in what people wore - it was quite a variety! But I did get a few ideas of both cool and modest exercise fashions.
When the gun went off, the mob began to move. Gathered at the start were the old and the young, the very young in strollers, dogs, the fast, the slow, male and female, and the Chik-fil-A Cow.
Later a tomato came around and gave me a coupon for my favorite restaurant.
There were booths with free food and government info too.
Jon came back about 1/3. It was fun!

5:34 PM  
Blogger Larry Lewis said...

Good for you, Jon! I haven't done anything like that in quite a long time. I've been waiting to hear from you on your own blog. Feel free to join in the good-natured debate on mine.

2:22 AM  
Blogger Floyd said...

Go Dad!!!

How did I miss that the race was this weekend? Are you sore at all??

I'd ask you to start running with my but, you'd leave me in the dust about a block into it when I begin heaving...

5:02 AM  
Blogger Danny said...

Go Dad! Great job. Way to make us proud.

7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home